The state of Tennessee provides Medicaid coverage through their TennCare program. TennCare is one of the oldest managed care systems in the country and the state enrolls its entire Medicaid population in managed care.
Tennessee Medicaid Info
The following is an overview of TennCare:
- A Managed Care Organization handles most health and acute care needs
- Covered mental health and substance abuse problems are managed through a Behavioral Health Organization
- Dental benefits are paid through a Dental Benefits Manager
- A Pharmacy Benefits Manager handles prescriptions
The general program requirements are:
- Must be a resident of Tennessee and also a U.S. citizen or qualified alien
- Have to be either pregnant, under 19, or a parent or relative caretaker of a child or children under the age of 21
- Elderly, generally over age 65
- You will have to meet financial eligibility conditions for each category
- Be low or very low-income
To begin the application process, start at the state’s TennCare sign-up page.
A more complete rundown of TennCare’s benefits and programs can be found at the following link.